Health & Safety Consultancy
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral which has been mined extensively and used in many products historically.
Despite the known health risk it is still being mined in many parts of the world including Africa, Brazil, and Russia etc. It is a remarkable mineral fibre having excellent thermal and acoustic insulation properties, in addition to being chemically inert with extremely strong fibres.
There are two varieties of asbestos, Serpentine and Amphibole. The three common types of asbestos are illustrated here, viewed under a microscope:
The Duty to Manage Asbestos in Non-domestic premises
This service covers the strategy, commitment needed and the detail for implementing a robust and compliant asbestos management policy to the CAR 2012 Regulation 4 "Duty to Manage" and includes NEW L143 2013 ACOP:
Dutyholders need to put some or all of the following arrangements in place to ensure compliance with the duty to manage, steps may include:
Starts with identifying the dutyholders (persons responsible for maintenance & repair) then taking a systematic approach as follows:
- Initial meeting to review the current situation & develop a strategy
- Receive adequate asbestos awareness & management training
- Gather existing information on ACM's
- Gain commitment from senior staff to assist with the task
- Develop a management strategy, what, why, how, who and when
- Arrange for an assessment of all buildings
- Develop procedures for interim arrangements
- Arrange for representative asbestos surveys to be undertaken
- Consider a labelling strategy if appropriate
- Develop or procure an off the shelf database register
- Ensure the register includes drawings, photos, analytical results fibre scores (HSG 264), priority assessments (HSG227)
- Prepare a written asbestso management plan
- Communicate the findings to anyone liable to disturb the ACM’s incl the emergency services
- Encourage “ownership” of the asbestos plan & register Manage the interface between site, contractors and others
Work with Asbestos, Treatment and/or Removal
Maintenance, Refurbishment & Demolition Personnel.
Do you know if your staff come are likely to come into contact with asbestos? If so, under The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR 2012) you have a duty to ensure they know where asbestos is located, understand the hazards, risks and know the practical solutions to avoid, reduce and control their exposure.
We can help to protect you, your staff, and your business, from the consequences of unsafe working with asbestos, through (UKATA recognised) training, risk assessment, and practical arrangements.
This service is designed to assist busy and/or inexperienced clients and contractors who are planning to work with asbestos, this may involve:
- Understanding the requirements of The Asbestos Regulations (CAR 2012)
- Identifying licensed, non-licensed & notifiable non-licensed work
- Scope of works
- Contract Documents
- Procurement E.g. Selection and Appointments
- Health and Safety matters
- Interface issues & Impact Assessment
- Ongoing Project Support & Advice
- Liaison with regulators, i.e. HSE, EA etc
- Duty holders update for managing asbestos
Call or Enquire Today About Our
Clients, contractors & advisors responsible for maintaining or refurbishing buildings or structures containing asbestos. Following an initial enquiry to determine the scope requirements training dates will be offered which reflect the CAR 2012 Regulations, meeting the recognised standard of the UKATA (United Kingdom Asbestos Trainers Association). Alternatively support could be provided on an on-going basis or a combination of both asbestos awareness training & asbestos management training all offered with supplementary consultancy.
“What Our Customers Say
I recently attended the 2 day Asbestos Mgnt course and Wayne's enthusiasm, experience & depth of knowledge make him a first class tutor. I really enjoyed the course with practicals & viewing asbestos samples.David Burrows
Senior Engineer : Vauxhall Motors
Once again the Demolition and Asbestos Management were excellent courses well delivered with highly relevant content, I would also recommend the fully inclusive accommodation package, which was to a supreme standard!Rob Davies
Build Mgr : Shepherd Construction